West Palm Beach at a Glance
West Palm Beach has come a long way since its beginnings as a hotel-workers community in the 1800s. Incorporated in 1894, West Palm Beach is the oldest incorporated municipality in Southern Florida. Today, its streets are lined with ritzy hotels, upscale boutiques and renowned restaurants nestled amongst stunning buildings dating back to the 1920s, when the city had its largest boom. The County is home to over 170 golf courses, many of championship status, endless renowned spas and of course dazzling beaches.
Not to be missed West Palm Beach has many historical, natural and cultural attractions. These are some of the most visited:
- Ann Norton Sculpture Garden: The intact gardens and studio space of Ann Norton (1905 – 1982) feature 9 monolithic sculptures and over 300 varities of rare palms.
- Palm Beach Zoo: Featuring over 1,500 animals from around the world in 23 acres of tropical space.
- El Cid neighborhood: Mediterranean revival and mission-style homes characterize this historic neighbourhood.
- Okeeheelee Park: This massive park is over 900 acres and features a golf course, two lakes, picnic areas, nature centre, baseball fields, BMX biking area and much more.
- Peanut Island: The most visited site on the island is a bunker built for President John F. Kennedy during the Cold War. Other attractions include a museum, picnic areas and walking and biking paths.
Uniquely West Palm Beach Lion County Safari is Florida’s only drive-through safari and walk-through amusement park. The exciting park features over 900 animals including lions, giraffes, crocodiles and rhinos. Guests of the park will be treated to animal encounters and displays, animal feeding experiences, 6 rides and a splash pad.
Good to know about West Palm Beach You’ve set your sights on the beach, golf courses and spas of West Palm Beach, now let’s talk about the practical details:
- Climate: May – October is the hot, wet season, and precipitation can be quite heavy. November – April is warm and dry.
- City Transportation: While rail and bus transportation services are available, a car rental is the most convenient way to travel around the city as well as the rest of the county.
- Accommodation: Historic hotels, waterfront resorts and eco-friendly properties are just a few the choices in West Palm Beach and Palm Beach County. See West Palm Beach Hotels for more information.
- Eating Out: Fine-dining establishments flourish in West Palm Beach, with top-rated chefs working in many of the kitchens. Additionally, there are fast food chains, family-friendly restaurants and small eateries.
Call your itravel2000 Travel Expert NOW to book! 1.866.WOW.DEAL (969.3325)