The Azores Hotels
Whether you are a family looking to re-connect, a couple wanting a romantic retreat or a wanderer looking to get off-the-beaten-path, there is an Azores hotel for you.
Each of the nine islands offers accommodation rentals for tourists. Many of the properties are small, so it advised to book well in advance. In the case of some of the more unique selections, bookings are made a year or more in advance. Prices are quite varied and depend greatly on the location, time of year and type of property.
Here are some of the more popular places:
- Sao Miguel is the largest of the nine islands. The island is home to most cosmopolitan city, Ponta Delgada, in the Azores. In Ponta Delgada you will have your choice of mid-range 3-star hotels and luxury 4 and 5-star properties. Outside of the main city there are many lodging choices available. Cottage rentals in the Furnas Valley and the picturesque village of Caloura are quite popular for visitors to the island, especially families.
- The UNESCO World Heritage City of Angra do Heroismo on the island of Terceira is a popular stop for tourists. The city offers many accommodation selections, mainly in the 3 and 4-star hotel category.
- Pico stands out as a dreamy hideaway for couples. Overnight in an adega (a type of cellar, above the ground) in the middle of a vineyard or fall asleep to the gentle sound of waves in a petite stone house overlooking the ocean.
- The steep island of Sao Jorge is a hikers’ paradise. The main city of Velas has a campsite, very popular with outdoor enthusiasts.
Pousada de Santa Cruz is a little piece of history. It is set in a 16th century fortress that was declared a National Monument in 1947. The Pousada has just two suites, and affords stunning views of the island of Pico.
- A Pousada is a type of private hotel, exclusive to Portugal. They are customarily located in a place of historical significance or extreme natural beauty. For more information on Pousadas, see the Portugal Hotel Guide, Lisbon Hotel Guide, Porto Hotel Guide or Faro Hotel Guide.
Call your itravel2000 Travel Expert NOW to book! 1.866.WOW.DEAL (969.3325)