St. Petersburg at a glance
St. Petersburg-Clearwater has earned the nickname “The Sunshine City”, with an average of 360 days of sunshine a year. Aside from its wonderful weather, its residents have inviting personalities bursting with Old Florida charm. The area boasts some of the best beaches in the World, along with superb restaurants, comfortable accommodations, spectacular museums and so much more.
Not to be missed
From beaches to museums, to wilderness parks and great shopping, these are some of the area’s top-rated attractions.
- The Salvador Dali Museum houses the largest collection of Dali artwork in the United States.
- There are nearly 100 golf courses, 30 of which are championship courses, in the St. Petersburg-Clearwater area.
- Fort DeSoto Park is located at the edge of Saint Petersburg and is an extensive stretch of beaches and wilderness. The park offers fishing, camping and several kilometers of undeveloped beach.
- A trip to Busch Gardens in nearby Tampa Bay is a must. Busch Gardens is one of Florida’s premiere theme parks with roller coasters and wildlife experiences.
- St. Pete Beach is just one of the many beaches in the St. Petersburg-Clearwater area. It was just recently rated the Number 1 Beach in the United States and the Number 5 Beach in the world for 2012 through TripAdvisor.
Uniquely St. Petersburg
The city enjoys an exclusive location, situated on a peninsula and surrounded on three sides by water. The area is accessed through three very long bridges that cross Tampa Bay. Sunshine Skyway is an impressive structure, rising to a height of 17 stories above the water. The other two bridges, Frankland Bridge and Gandy Bridge are not nearly as high, and are recommended for travellers who do not like bridges or heights.
Good to know about St. Petersburg
Let’s talk about the practical details before you start packing the sunscreen and flip flops:
- Climate: The climate in St. Petersburg-Clearwater is warm year-round with hot and humid summers and dry, cool winters. The average temperature high in March is 24/7°C and 32°C in July.
- City Transportation: Car is the most convenient way to navigate St. Petersburg-Clearwater; however, the Suncoast Beach Trolley runs along Gulf Boulevard and offers connecting routes from the coast to downtown Saint Petersburg.
- Accommodation: Beachfront hotels are the most popular accommodation choice in St. Petersburg-Clearwater. See St. Petersburg hotels for more information.
- Eating Out: The local specialty is the Grouper Sandwich and a must try for all visitors. Many chain restaurants can be found in the Baywalk shopping complex. Near the Sunken Gardens site are many fine dining establishments.