San Francisco at a Glance
An International mecca for hippies in the 60’s, San Francisco still retains its celebrated Bohemian charms. Only now the city boasts acclaimed chefs, renowned museums, lavish hotels and posh designer boutiques. With iconic symbols numbering in the double digits, San Francisco delights travellers of every age.
Not to be missed
Measuring a mere 49 square miles, San Francisco’s culture, attractions and gastronomy pack a massive punch to all five senses. Make sure not to miss out on any of these sensory experiences:
- Golden Gate Bridge.
- Alcatraz, aka the Rock.
- Riding the historic cable cars.
- Coit Tower.
- Fisherman’s Wharf.
- Shopping in Union Square.
- North Beach, the city’s Italian Quarter.
- The Ferry Building.
- Bohemian atmosphere of the Haight-Ashbury neighbourhood.
- The Painted Ladies are a series of Victorian houses nestled between the downtown skyscrapers and the grassy Alamo Square. It is one of the most photographed icons of San Francisco.
Uniquely San Francisco
Where else in the World could you explore an aquarium, planetarium and natural history museum, all under one living roof? Nowhere but San Francisco! The California Academy of Sciences is home to Steinhart Aquarium, Morrison Planetarium and Kimball Natural History Museum. Wander this San Fran must-see, visiting penguins, a four-story living rainforest, a 2.5 acre living roof (a wildflower garden) and the immersive planetarium amongst many other attractions. Recognized by the U.S. Green Building Council for its eco-friendly design and operations, the California Academy of Sciences is the World’s first "Double Platinum" museum.
Good to know about San Francisco
Practical Details are important, even in the Summer of Love city:
- Climate: With moist mild winters and dry summers, San Francisco exhibits a cool-summer Mediterranean climate.
- City Transportation: San Francisco is famed for its cable cars that move residents and visitors alike along the city’s massive hills. Additionally, public buses, railways and taxicabs are available.
- Accommodation: Nestled amongst the San Francisco hills are an endless array of hotels, bed & breakfasts and hostels. See San Francisco hotels for more information.
- Eating Out: Known as the best restaurant city in America, San Francisco will tickle your taste buds. The Chefs here are known for their skill at combining local ingredients, with creativity and International flavours. Dine on Japanese, Moroccan, Malaysian, Chinese, Italian, Spanish or a fusion of any two.
Call your itravel2000 Travel Expert NOW to book! 1.866.WOW.DEAL (969.3325)