Jamaica at a Glance
In the Caribbean Sea lies the island of Jamaica, once known as Xaymaca, which means a land thriving with wood and water. The country has a history as rich as it is ancient, having once been in the possession of Spaniards and then the English, thus retaining cultural influences that integrated with its own indigenous peoples. Jamaica’s image is marked by diversity, with its subtropical climate allowing multiple ecosystems and a wide range of flora and fauna to flourish. The country’s beautiful sites make it an excellent tourist destination that is affordable for every kind of traveller. What’s the best thing about the country? Not only will the environment and culture refresh you, Jamaican cuisine is known for being healthy and appetizing at the same time!
Must-see Places and Things to do In JamaicaJamaica is a land of so many hidden treasures, so many attractions and so many things to do and see, that no one should restrict themselves to a list. You can travel to Montego Bay for duty free shopping and some fun in the Jamaican city life or go to Kingston to get a sense of Jamaica’s history. To help you plan your time out, we have prepared a list of some of the most spectacular things you must do or see in Jamaica:
- The Negril Cliffs. Visit these for some adrenalin pumping activities and see the dramatic drops that were once featured in a James Bond film.
- Blue Hole Mineral Spring. Stay at this water resort built around a natural, mineral spring that you can jump into when you’re feeling adventurous.
- White Witch Golf Club. These peaceful greens spread out under a blue Jamaica sky and provide fantastic views of the coastline.
- Seven Mile Beach. Once the haunt of pirates and pillagers, this beach is now the perfect place to stretch out and soak up the sun by the azure waters of the Jamaican coast.
- Abeokuta Paradise Nature Park. The Abeokuta Park displays Jamaica’s natural beauty and diverse ecosystems in all their glory, making it the perfect place to explore the wildlife.
Jamaica Essential Facts and Travel TipsSome things that you need to know about Jamaica are:
- Capital: Kingston. This is the island nation’s largest city, has a population of almost 100,000 people and was founded in 1692.
- GMT Time: GMT – 5:00
- Languages Spoken: While the main language in Jamaica is English, the locals also speak a form of Creole known as Jamaican Patois which oddly borrows elements from Native American tongues as well as Irish English!
- National Airlines: The national airline of Jamaica is Air Jamaica which is operated by Caribbean Airlines.
- Population: Jamaica is 2,889,187 people strong.
- Electricity: 110 V
- Climate: Jamaica has a subtropical climate that is the main reason it sees the thriving of such diverse ecosystems. The temperature is fairly consistent throughout the year, staying between 21 degrees Celsius at the lowest and 31 degrees Celsius at the highest from January till December.
Call your itravel2000 Travel Expert NOW to book! 1.866.WOW.DEAL (969.3325)