Athens at a Glance
Home to some of the most important and impressive antiquities in the World, Athens is more than just a cultural, philosophic and historical Mecca. Here you will find bustling flea markets alongside designer shopping, and traditional Greek cuisine paired with modern International dishes. Walk in the footsteps of some of the World's greatest philosophers, or visit the Poet-Sandalmaker of Athens to hear some of the celebrated poet's works and get your pair of hand-made Greek sandals. Whether you're looking to immerse yourself in philosophy, or just some really good tzatziki, Athens has everything you could ever want.
Not to be missedWith so many ancient attractions, it is hard to decide what to see. We have compiled a list of some of the best must-see spots in Athens.
- The Acropolis
- The Temple of Olympian Zeus.
- The Tomb of the Unknown Soldier
- Monastiraki Flea Market (best day to go is Sunday)
- Piraeus (Greece's third largest city is part of Athen's Urban Area)
- Hadrian's Library. Climbing Mount Lycabettus
- The Plaka
- Theatre of Dionysos
- Panathenaic Stadium
- Stavros Melissinos, The Poet-Sandalmaker of Athens
- The Ancient Agora
- Kerameikos, the cemetery of ancient Athens
Uniquely Athens Built between 447 BCE and 438 BCE, the Parthenon is a wonder of the ancient World. The largest Doric temple ever completed and built entirely of Pentelic marble (aside from the wooden roof); the Parthenon is a marvel of architecture. Sitting atop the Acropolis, which literally translates to 'upper city', the Parthenon housed the gigantic statue of Athena, designed by Phidias and made out of chryselephantine (elephant ivory) and gold.
- Climate: Athens enjoys a subtropical Mediterranean climate, with warm summers and cool, wet winters. March through May have average temperatures of 16°C - 21°C. June through August are the hottest months with averages between 25°C - 29°C.
- City Transportation: Busses, trams and the metro make up an easy way to get around Athens. Athens also has some of the best urban walking in Europe.
- Accommodation: There is no shortage of affordable accommodations in Athens. See our Athens hotels section for more information.
- Eating Out: Chicken, goat and lamb are quite common in Greek cooking. In Athens, some of the best authentic Greek cuisine can be found alongside exquisite offerings from Mexican to Japanese. Athens truly has something for every taste. And don't forget to try some baklava!
Call your itravel2000 Travel Expert NOW to book! 1.866.WOW.DEAL (969.3325)